WOMACK v. U.S.
Annotate this Case
422 U.S. 1022 (1975)
U.S. Supreme Court
WOMACK v. U.S. , 422 U.S. 1022 (1975)
422 U.S. 1022
Herman L. WOMACK and Potomac News Company
Supreme Court of the United States
June 16, 1975
On petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
The petition for a writ of certiorari is denied.
Mr. Justice BRENNAN, with whom Mr. Justice STEWART and Mr. Justice MARSHALL join, dissenting.
Petitioners were convicted in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia of mailing
obscene matter in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1461, and of transporting the matter in interstate commerce in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1462. 18 U.S.C. 1461 provides in pertinent part:
- 'Every obscene, lewd, lascivious, indecent, filthy or vile article, matter, thing, device, or substance;
- 'Is declared to be nonmailable matter and shall not be conveyed in the mails or delivered from any post office or by any letter carrier . . . .'
18 U.S.C. 1462 provides in pertinent part:
- 'Whoever brings into the United States, or any place subject to the jurisdiction thereof, or knowingly uses any express company or other common carrier, for carriage in interstate or foreign commerce--
- '(a) any obscene, lewd, lascivious, or filthy book, pamphlet, picture, motion-picture film, paper, letter, writing, print, or other matter of indecent character; . . .
* * * * *
- 'Shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both, for the first such offense and shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both, for each such offense thereafter.'
The Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit affirmed the convictions.
I adhere to my dissent in United States v. Orito, 413 U.S. 139, 147, in which, speaking of 18 U.S.C 1462, I expressed the view that '[w]hatever the extent of the Federal Government's power to bar the distribution of allegedly obscene material to juveniles or the offensive [422 U.S. 1022 , 1024]