Burrill v. Locomobile Co.
Annotate this Case
258 U.S. 34 (1922)
U.S. Supreme Court
Burrill v. Locomobile Co., 258 U.S. 34 (1922)
Burrill v. Locomobile Company
Nos. 98, 99
Argued January 25, 26, 1922
Decided February 27, 1922
258 U.S. 34
1. Massachusetts Statutes 1909, c. 490, Part III, §§ 70 and 71, provides, as the exclusive remedy for recovering a tax illegally exacted under the act, a petition to the Supreme Judicial Court and prompt repayment by the the sum there adjudged, and relieves the collector from liability to personal action. P. 258 U. S. 37.
2. The time fixed for filing the petition -- six months -- is reasonable. P. 258 U. S. 37.
3. In the absence of a controlling act of Congress, the right of a foreign corporation to recover taxes exacted under an unconstitutional state statute may be confined by the state law to the direct responsibility of the state and the collector of the taxes be thereby relieved of personal liability, even when sued in the federal court, at least where the remedy afforded is adequate. P. 258 U. S. 37.
4. Quaere whether the proceeding given by the Massachusetts statute, supra, could be instituted in the federal district court? P. 258 U. S. 39.
5. The Constitution, standing alone, does not create a paramount, unchangeable liability to an action of tort on the part of all persons who may take part in enforcing a state law that it invalidates, but leaves the remedies to Congress and the states. P. 258 U. S. 38.
Error to judgments for damages rendered by the district court in actions to recover corporation excise taxes collected by the defendant and alleged and found to have been exacted by duress under an unconstitutional statute.
Disclaimer: Official Supreme Court case law is only found in the print version of the United States Reports. Justia case law is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or information linked to from this site. Please check official sources.