Helvering v. Lerner Stores Corp.Annotate this Case
314 U.S. 463 (1941)
U.S. Supreme Court
Helvering v. Lerner Stores Corp., 314 U.S. 463 (1941)
Helvering v. Lerner Stores Corp.
Argued December 11, 1941
Decided December 22, 1941
314 U.S. 463
1. An amended capital stock tax return, to correct an undervaluation of the taxpayer's capital stock declared by mistake in its "first return," cannot be filed after the lapse of 30 days from the statutory due date and after the expiration of the period for which an extension might have been allowed by the Commissioner if application for it had been made. Scaife Company v. Commissioner, ante, p. 314 U. S. 459. P. 314 U. S. 466.
2. In allowing the taxpayer to fix it own valuation of it capital stock, thereby affecting its tax liability under the closely related capital stock and excess profit tax provisions, the Revenue Act of 1935 does not unconstitutionally delegate legislative power. P. 314 U. S. 468.
3. A claim of unreasonable classification or inequality in the incidence or application of a tax raise no question under the Fifth Amendment, which contains no equal protection clause. P. 314 U. S. 468.
4. The propriety or wisdom of a tax on profits, computed with reference to a specified criterion of value of capital stock, is not open to challenge in the courts. P. 314 U. S. 468.
5. There is no constitutional reason why Congress may not avoid litigious valuation problem by relying on the self-interest of taxpayer to place a fair valuation on their capital stock. P. 314 U. S. 468.
118 F.2d 455, reversed.
Certiorari, post, p. 598, to review a judgment which reversed a decision of the Board of Tax Appeals sustaining an excess profits tax.
Official Supreme Court case law is only found in the print version of the United States Reports. Justia case law is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or information linked to from this site. Please check official sources.