Norfolk & Western Railway Co. v. United StatesAnnotate this Case
287 U.S. 134 (1932)
U.S. Supreme Court
Norfolk & Western Railway Co. v. United States, 287 U.S. 134 (1932)
Norfolk & Western Railway Co. v. United States
Argued October 19, 1932
Decided November 7, 1932
287 U.S. 134
1. An order of the Interstate Commerce Commission requiring a railroad to carry its coal mining properties in its accounts as property not used in the service of transportation, although the mines were acquired, and are used, solely for the purpose of supplying fuel for locomotives, was within the authority of the Commission, and not subject to review by the courts. P. 287 U. S. 141.
2. The order does not operate as a denial of due process by filing an unfair and improper rate base or basis of recapture, since it affects merely the accounting practice of the carrier. P. 287 U. S. 141.
3. There is no right to a particular form of accounting as such, and the action of the Commission was not an abuse of power. P. 287 U. S. 143.
4. The order was not an arbitrary and unwarranted interference with the managerial discretion of executives of the company. Id.
5. A carrier is not entitled to relief here from part of an order requiring that charges in its accounts for coal produced in its mines for transportation operations shall be upon the basis of the average monthly cost of production when the Commission has indicated its willingness to reopen the case and give further consideration to this question. P. 287 U. S. 143.
52 F.2d 967 affirmed.
Appeal from a decree of a District Court of three judges dismissing a petition to enjoin the enforcement of an order of the Interstate Commerce Commission.
Official Supreme Court caselaw is only found in the print version of the United States Reports. Justia caselaw is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or information linked to from this site. Please check official sources.